Belay on


I had rock climbing on my "list".  You know....that list of things you set your mind on doing at least once in your life. Eventually the opportunity presented itself for me to go. I showed up with the proper gear and my friend brought the ropes and carabiners and whatever else he needed for our day of rock climbing.    
     When I was ready to climb I was to listen for him to say "belay on"  before I began so I knew I was connected to something secure in case I slipped.  (To belay is to secure attachment to something immovable...connected to something that would break my fall.) He controlled the rope both as I climbed and as I descended. I was entirely dependent on him and the rope and that carabiner. Once I heard him say "belay on" I was to let him know I was ready to climb and I would hear him tell me to "climb on".
      It was exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. If I didn't have someone on the other end of that rope, on belay, controlling things on the other end, I would have been out of my mind to climb the side of that mountainous rock. But I did. And he knew what he was doing. He never took his hands off the rope. He never took his eyes off of me until I made it safely to the top. I arrived bruised and and dirty and a little tired. I slipped a few times. But he had me and that rope and I knew I was in capable hands.

Life is a faith walk. A bit intimidating and terrifying at times. But without a doubt exhilarating because life was meant to be enjoyed.....not endured. You may find yourself bruised and beaten. But the journey is worth it when you reach the top only to find a breath taking view. He never calls you to anything where he doesn't give you all you need to carry it out. You have the gifts and all the equipment you need. And an ever capable guide who is mindful and watchful and careful to guard and keep you. Preserve you and sustain you. What are you waiting for?
  He's on belay. Climb on!

Jude 1:24 Now to Him Who is able to keep you from stumbling or slipping or falling, and to present [you] unblemished (blameless and faultless) before the presence of His glory in triumphant joy and exultation [with unspeakable, ecstatic delight]

Psalm 121:1-8 I look up to the mountains—does my help come from there?!?!?!? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth! He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber. Indeed, he who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps. The LORD himself watches over you! The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade. The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon at night. The LORD keeps you from all harm and watches over your life. The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever.

Comments

Popular Posts